All the latest news, links, and insights on Open Source, WordPress, WooCommerce, Software-as-a-Service, and Hosting. With two decades of open source experience running an agency, executive open source leadership, and startup experience, Robert brings you a unique perspective to the tools, companies, and people that are the bedrock of the internet. Follow on social media or subscribe to Pot of Coffee to stay informed.
- WordCamp Europe 2021 a SuccessWe just completed three days of good old WordCamp Europe, and for a virtual conference I have to give it a full five out five stars. The sessions were great, the platform, Hublio, is really a pleasure to navigate. I was able to run through quickly, easily, message, and meet people. As much as I love in-person conferences, it is amazing to see how easily people all over the world can so easily take advantage of such an important conference. I did get the change to speak on Invisible CMS but the show stopper really was the closing interview with […]
- 500 Billion DollarsThat is an amazingly huge amount of money, and what is referring to? WordPress! From BusinessWire, WordPress Economy Drives More Than Half a Trillion in Revenue, New Global Study Shows: “To put the global WordPress economy in context, if WordPress were a country, its economy would rank 39th in the world according to an IMF list of countries by GDP. The estimated 2021 economy facilitated by WordPress is comparable to that generated by the Apple App Store at $643B, and if it were equivalent to the market cap of a company it would come in at no. 10 on the […]
- Ecwid Acquired by LightspeedThis is big news. Ecwid has gone from a simple payment gateway to a mini-Shopify to, I assume, a direct competitor to Shopify with the weight and financing of Lightspeed. Lightspeed will gain a foothold in a new and growing market segment. Of course we need to get some details from the press release, Lightspeed to acquire Ecwid and NuORDER to unify commerce ecosystem and ignite business creation: “Ecwid currently serves over 130,000 paying customers in over 100 countries around the world. In the period ended March 31, 2021, Ecwid generated revenue2 of over $20 million, growing at a rate […]
- Cloudways and PatchstackThere have been a ton of announcements regarding acquisitions, partnerships, and more. I thought I’d pick this one up for two reasons, one and a disclosure, I am the Director of WordPress at Cloudways, and two, it’s a bit of work I’m very glad we’ve been able to make it happen since it contributes back to the WordPress community and project. From the Cloud7 post, Cloudways partners with WordPress security tool provider Patchstack: “Cloudways is releasing WordPress command-line interface (WP-CLI) packages designed by Patchstack that will be available for everyone to use as open-source. WordPress users can utilize these packages […]
This is sweet and simple, load WordPress sites in as fast as 37ms with Cloudways!
- #MorningCoffee: Money, Money, and PeopleJust a friendly reminder, WordCamp Europe 2021 is in full swing, get thyself to a session or two. Today, it’s definitely a “movers and shakers” kind of day. Your news is global news! Working on […]
- Christie Chirinos Joins CodeableI’m sensing a theme at Codeable: Step 1, find talented WordPress folk who have hosting experience; Step 2, hire them. Announced June 7, Christie has taken on a new role at Codeable, Partner Community Development […]
- Mike Demo Joins CodeableThose in the open source communities of WordPress and Joomla have known Mike Demopoulos for many years (as Mike Demo or Demo or 🌈👾🎢⚽ – isn’t one name enough 😉) and for the last five […]
- #MorningCoffee: The RestartSo the month of May was very haphazard and I sincerely apologize to the many loyal readers who kept asking for the next newsletter. Trying to do two full time jobs at once is, ha!, […]
- WordCamp Europe 2021 UnderwayShort and sweet, #WCEU is underway through June 9. The virtual platform selected is really easy to navigate and friendlier then some I’ve seen over the last year. The best part, is that sessions are […]
- Links of the WeekWP Tavern: Genesis Framework To Become Free StudioPress Announces Changes Smashing Magazine: The Evolution Of Jamstack Marker: Customer Support Via Twitter Isn’t Support, It’s PR
- Networking (again) in PersonI’ve really missed the “real” networking of days long ago. Constant Zooms, Slacks, and digital communication have been invaluable but nothing – nothing – beats sitting across from someone and having a conversation with all […]
- Kanban for WordPress AcquiredSome not so breaking news, this was announced May 7, Under New Management: “As of today, Kanban for WordPress is under new management! The teams behind Alpha Particle and Flowspoke have come together to take […]
- Reaction Moves from Marketing to DigitalOk, this is a guilty pleasure update about an agency I’ve personally known for a long time. They’re based out of Canada, and I met their CEO, Mike Szyszka, back in the Joomla days. I’ve […]
- DigitalOcean’s Premium DropletsAs you can imagine with the advent of cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, Linode, Digital Ocean, Vultr, etc.) there has been a race for performance value. Digital Ocean (DO) is one of the more recognizable […]