All the latest news, links, and insights on Open Source, WordPress, WooCommerce, Software-as-a-Service, and Hosting. With two decades of open source experience running an agency, executive open source leadership, and startup experience, Robert brings you a unique perspective to the tools, companies, and people that are the bedrock of the internet. Follow on social media or subscribe to Pot of Coffee to stay informed.
- Is Open Source Freemium?Today’s inspiration arrives courtesy of Old Man Dan at OMD Ventures, Freemium-ization of Society: I expect free tiers for every new service. I didn’t know I had this expectation until I was outraged when met with “pay to play” services. Outrageous isn’t it? How dare they charge me for something without even giving me a taste! It’s made me wonder if the freemium-ization of everything has increased skepticism and delayed trust amongst our fellow humans. This is a great question and really targets a couple of aspects of open source. First and foremost, open source is the ultimate free. Free […]
- Open Source Support Is Not Just MoneyI follow a lot of folk on social media, well Twitter, and one of them is Michael Babker. He is an amazing supporter of open source projects. Like his time to actually make things work. Here’s his tweet from this week: I’m having one of those mornings where I’m annoyed with how everyone will pile on to an issue about something not working right in an OSS project, but nobody will give feedback on a proposed solution. It’s as if people think OSS is a one-way street. Why is this important? This isn’t just a random code submitter, Michael is […]
- How WordPress Are You?Inspired by another newsletter (totally not in the technology arena), I bring you a quiz to see HOW WORDPRESS ARE YOU? If you want to know what the inspiring newsletter is, just contact me. You will be scored! Add up your numbers to be scientifically placed in your correct Custom Post Type. Q1: How do you spell WordPress? (1) “WordPress” – internet humpty-dumpty spelling is goofy.(2) “wordpress” because of my love of e. e. cummings.(3) If you don’t spell it correctly I will haunt you on social media. Q2: When you read Ask the Bartender at WP Tavern you feel? […]
- Joomla Mis-DiscussedThere is a so much to say about Joomla but a huge discussion on Post Status over recent open source issues (see Open Source Support Crisis and More Open Source) is completely misunderstanding Joomla. What about the Joomla official marketplace precipitated its downfall? Are the factors/environment analogous to WordPress? Tbh, I’m not really sure how having a paid marketplace solves the issue of thankless open source contributors. Firstly because not all contributors have plugins/themes, some just want to contribute to core and be incentivised for doing so. Secondly, not every theme/plugin owner wants to run a business. Thirdly, it discourages […]
This is sweet and simple, load WordPress sites in as fast as 37ms with Cloudways!
- WPYall, Not for YallWell the first WordCamp of 2022 is now to be determined. WordCamp Birmingham aka WPYall has been postponed due to Covid, #WPYall Postponed Until Spring: As a result, the WordCamp Birmingham Organizing Team has unanimously […]
- Open Sourced-ish Financial ModelOver at Ellipsis Marketing, Alex Denning announced today, Open sourcing our $2k financial model spreadsheet for WordPress businesses: Ellipsis’ financial model sheet is invaluable for getting insight into the performance of any WordPress business. It’s […]
- More Open SourceI’m quite happy that the difficulties of being an open source contributor are coming more and more into the public sphere. Bigger names with bigger audiences are getting into the mix, following my post Open […]
- OMG! I Understand web3I am not going to say there is a be-all and end-all single simple definition of web3, but by golly My first impressions of web3 by Moxie Marlinspike nails the basics and goes into some […]
- Open Source Support CrisisAnother day, another story about the critical role open source software has for everyone. Let’s quickly remind ourselves of the last big open source crisis from less than a month ago, log4j. Justin Dorfman, writing […]
- Keep it Concise“I won’t bore you.” “Let me get to the gist.” “Here’s the deal.” Why do we hear this all the time followed by a 30 minute “elevator pitch?” If you have to tell someone who […]
- WordCamp Conundrum or NotSo I briefly touched on WordCamps and Covid in Open Source in 2021, but WP Tavern has taken a deeper dive into the situation, WordCamp Birmingham Updates COVID-19 Protocols Amid Omicron Surge, WordCamp Europe Still […]
- Compostable … errr … Composable EcosystemsThe kind of thinking that comes out of Marketing MBAs sometimes just drives me nuts. Wait, what are you selling? How is this different than last year … last decade … last millennium? The garbage […]
- Open Source vs Beginner’s BubbleSometimes a concept comes across that in hindsight is so crazily common sense that you wonder why you didn’t learn about it in kindergarten. Welcome to the Beginner’s Bubble! So this came from an op-ed […]
- Yoast on ShopifyHot off the presses, We have big news: Yoast SEO is coming to Shopify! Well well well, definitely should’ve seen this coming, it’s a natural way to expand their market – but is this a […]