Looks like we have a busy WordPress week, scheduled for February 2, 2021 is WordPress beta 1, the overall scope includes:
The main goal for 2021 is Full Site Editing via Gutenberg (edited for clarity: this is not THE scope for 5.7 but an ongoing effort 😊).
You can read the status report, join the FSE Outreach program, check the progress on the GitHub issue used to overview to progress, and dive into contributing to it from there!
For WP5.7, these are some of the features that will be likely worked on:
– Update WordPress Core to include current releases of the Gutenberg plugin.
– Gutenberg: ship additional blocks, refine the UI, add tools for themes and design, and continue working on the widget screen.
– Follow up to 5.5/5.6: Plugins/themes automatic rollback after failed auto-updates
– Follow up to 5.5: Lazy-load iframes
– Follow up to 5.5/5.6: Update jQuery step 3
– Robots API and Media Search Engine Visibility setting
– Detect HTTPS support, provide guidance for switching and streamline migrating from HTTP to HTTPS
– Optimization of the Admin Color scheme
Additionally, on February 3, we have the final release of maintenance update, 5.6.1, “WordPress 5.6.1 milestone currently contains 22 bundled themes patches plus at least 23 other bugfixes reported after WP 5.6 was released.” Get prepared for those WordPress auto-updates!
You don’t need an intergalactic bounty hunter to fight bad guys. iThemes Security Pro will secure and protect your WordPress sites from the wretched hive of scum and villainy across the internet! Prevent hacks, security breaches, malware and more. This is the way.